One thing that I love about the way Parisian men dress is the use of simple, often iconic pieces, to create very simple, but sharp, outfits. And in quite a few cases, I’ve seen French men take the best from an international mix of makers, and make them their own by combining all the pieces expertly.
Here is an outfit based on one I saw in the Air France Lounge at CDG on the way back from our trip to Paris Mens Fashion Week last winter. There was a taxi strike starting the day we were slated to leave, so we got the last shift of cabs to avoid and a good scarf and gloves elevates itany issues. Five hours in an airport is too long for anyone, but luckily, we got a good breakfast and some decent people watching. Thanks, www.mytravalet.com for boosting us up to Business Class so that the boredom of our wait was mitigated by good croissants in the lounge and good surreptitious snapshots of the other lucky people.
A sharp coat is the basis of this outfit and a good scarf and gloves elevates it. Here, the classic blue Crombie coat evokes the modish looks of the 60s. Paraboot, from France, makes some of the best shoes for business travel – they are sensible shoes for the stylish man.
1. Classic “retro” Crombie Coat with contrasting lining, 895 GBP from Crombie.
2. Loro Piana Scarf – just enough color to stand out, $635 ftom www.mrporter.com
3. Peccary gloves by Merola in cork (no need to hide your hands), 185 GBP from www.exquistetrimmings.com
4. Reeves Navy Blue Flannel suit, custom made. Available by special order from www.reeves-nyc.com
5. White shirt by Brooks Brothers, $185 from www.brooksbrothers.com – An oxford cloth shirt is the perfect shirt for business travel – always have an extra change in your carryon. I really don’t think that anyone does a traditional, minimal, oxford cloth shirt with no embellishments, like the American classic
6. Chocolate Grenadine Tie by Chipp Neckwear, $55 from www.chippneckwear.com – a NYC stalwart throwback.
7. Briefcase by Pierpoint Leather, by commission, at www.pierpontleather.com
8. Paraboot shoes Oscar Patine scotch, approximately 420 Euros. At Paraboot locations throughout the world, or inquire at www.paraboot.com
9. Brunello Cucinelli medallion pocket square, $185 at www.mrporter.com
Latest posts by Fok-Yan Leung (see all)
- Styleforum’s “I forgot and I need something right now” Last Minute Christmas Gift Guide for men. - December 15, 2018
- An ode and a guide to tapered jeans - August 30, 2018
- The best Christmas gifts for your significant other and for you - December 18, 2017
- The 2017 Styleforum Charity Auctions Are Here! - December 1, 2017
- 5 Best Jeans for Men with Big Thighs - June 15, 2017