A pair of odd flannel trousers is one of Styleforum’s universal recommendations, and in addition to featuring heavily in WAYWT, flannel is a staff favorite. It’s not hard to see why: it’s soft, warm, and adds lovely visual texture to any outfit, especially if you choose a fabric – as @Heldentor has – that has enough character to stand up to patterns.
Even so, my favorite part of this outfit is the fit of the sport coat. It’s not often (or ever) I see a combination that I think could be simultaneously referred to as “sharp” and “soft,” but I believe this qualifies. “Rumpled elegance” is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot in discussions of menswear, and when referring to tailored clothing it often seems to be used as an excuse for poor fit. In this case, however, I think it’s an apt descriptor largely due to the weight of the fabric (of both jacket and trousers) and the moderately built-up chest and shoulders of the jacket.
Note how comfortable @Heldentenor appears when seated, and how well the fabric hangs. Not only are the proportions impeccable, but the outfit is wonderfully evocative. Of course, that’s partly due to the quality of the photograph and the setting, but everything – from the crisp blue shirt to the patch pockets to the knit tie and lack of pocket square – suggests comfort, confidence, and an absence of pretension.
This is a great example of how classics and standbys can be styled in a way that’s far from boring, and a wonderful appetizer for the fun of seasonal dress. Hats of to @Heldentenor, and to the rest us – now we now what to aim for.
- Sartoria Formosa POW jacket from No Man Walks Alone
- Spier and Mackay end-on-end blue shirt
- Dark green knit tie from Kent Wang
- Grey flannel trousers from The Armoury
- Enzo Bonafé chukkas from Skoaktiebolaget
Latest posts by Jasper Lipton (see all)
- Jasper’s Favorite Chunky Boots for Autumn - November 14, 2017
- @Baron’s Take on ‘Tailored Contemporary Casual’ - November 12, 2017
- A Talk with Ian Segal of Nine Lives Clothing - November 12, 2017
- Autumn Style: Odd Flannel Trousers with @Heldentenor - October 15, 2017
- The Yoox Friends and Family Sale Ends Today! - October 9, 2017
Categories: Outfit Grids