Okay, I’ll admit it: I’m American, and half the reason I like this outfit from Mr. Knightley so much is that all the brands in the original post sound so charmingly British. I’ve been streaming a show over Netflix called “Escape to the Country,” which is kind of like a super chillaxed British version of House Hunters where everyone just wants to buy a cottage in little countryside villages that all end with ‘-shire’, and let me tell you, I could really go for a nice walk through the Dales these days. Imagine it! No cars, no coffee shops, no Macbooks, no jokers on the internet telling you to adjust your sleeve pitch or change the cuffs on your jeans; just you, your binoculars, country boots, maybe a walking stick, and some tweed. Ideally, I’d drop my iPhone in the mud, look down at it, shrug, and move on. The only problem is that every house on the show has a 6-foot ceiling since they were all built in 1308 or whatever.
The other reason that I really like this look is that the colors are fantastic. Regardless of whether or not you’re actually in the countryside, earth tones have always been a go-to for fall, and we all want to look as though we haven’t got a care in the world beyond viewing seasonal foliage and maybe some sheep, especially when the exact opposite is true.
In this case, the overall effect is kept very handsome in part because Mr. Knightley hasn’t country-fied everything in his outfit – a smart shirt, shoes, and trousers tie things together very nicely while serving to keep those earth tones from getting too muddy. All in all, this is a great example of an outfit that features seasonal fabrics, pleated trousers, and even a bit of romance.
You can see Mr. Knightley’s original post here.
- Southwick Tweed sport coat from O’Connell’s
- Albert Thurston braces from Bromley’s
- Harvie & Hudson end-on-end shirt
- Rota trousers from No Man Walks Alone
- Van Buck pocket square from Coes of Ipswich
- Paul Costelloe stripe tie
- Pantherella socks
Latest posts by Jasper Lipton (see all)
- Autumn Style: Odd Flannel Trousers with @Heldentenor - October 15, 2017
- The Yoox Friends and Family Sale Ends Today! - October 9, 2017
- An Interview with Déborah Neuberg of De Bonne Facture - October 8, 2017
- How to Style Country Tweed with Mr. Knightley - October 8, 2017
- Mixing Menswear Textures with Poszetka - September 17, 2017
Categories: Outfit Grids