It’s no secret that Gerry Nelson posts some of the better-liked outfits on Styleforum. He dresses in a very approachable mix of tailored and casual clothing, and has a great eye for colors. In particular, he often pairs an indigo, work-style jacket with either jeans or trousers, which, though simple, is a fantastically good look if you get the fit and shade of your clothing right. With that in mind, here’s an example of an outfit that at touches on some of Gerry’s sensibilities.
First, our outerwear is casual but neither sloppy nor boring. A deep indigo, such as you’ll find on this Blue Blue Japan gown coat, goes with just about anything, including the Eidos pullover we’ve chosen. A Drake’s shirt with a button-down collar is a good casual accompaniment, and will look just as good on its own with the medium-wash Orslow jeans. Finally, a pair of tassel loafers in a rich brown suede means you can easily wear this outfit into springtime, and the addition of a giant robot on your pocket square is the kind of detail that keeps your wardrobe from boring you to tears.
Now, I’ve never had the opportunity to smell Gerry Nelson in person, but I am a fan of Tom Ford’s Plum Japonais, which is a pleasantly soft and alluring blend of plum, oud, and incense. It seems a perfect fit for the deep colors shown above, and is sensual without being overbearing.
Altogether, this outfit is the very definition of comfortable, just likemost of Gerry’s looks. It’s the kind of combination of sharp and relaxed that’s perfect for most of today’s offices, as well as for most of the weekend. Gerry may have perfected his own particular style, but that doesn’t mean you can’t experiment with similar ideas, and embrace a palette of deep, rich colors this spring.
- Blue Blue Japan Shawl Collar Gown – $403 at Mevyn
- Eidos Bagru sweater – $350 at Unionmade
- Drake’s green ticking stripe shirt – $155 at Drake’s
- Orslow Ivy Fit One Wash Denim – $257 at Blue Button Shop
- Santoni Loafer – $620 at Mr. Porter
- Calamityware Giant Robot square – $45 at Kent Wang
- Tom Ford Plum Japonais – $225 at Sephora
Latest posts by Styleforum Editors (see all)
- MEMORIAL DAY SALES 2020 MENSWEAR - May 23, 2020
- Classic Menswear Through the Lens - March 12, 2020
- Vintage: What the Expert Eye Looks For - February 14, 2020
- The Basics of Wedding Attire for Men: American and English Weddings - May 6, 2018
- Pitti Uomo 93 – Day 3 & 4 - January 13, 2018