There are a few members on Styleforum who do the “Whimsical CM Casual” look pretty well. One is Gerry Nelson, who you’ve heard from on this very Journal, and whose style we’ve already covered. The other two are @Cotton Dockers and @ManofKent, two paragons of Styleforum virtue that excel at putting together relaxed, whimsical outfits. We can easily imagine either of them wearing something similar to what we’ve put together here.
This outfit, as you’ve probably gathered, is centered around a Barena patchwork blazer, a brand which has long enjoyed an enthusiastic, if muted, fanbase on the forum – it’s friendly to both casual outfits and streetwear getups alike, and is generally both comfortable to wear and individual enough to stand out. To emphasize it’s not-quite-classic features, we’ve combined it with a few other playful pieces.
The first is this pair of relaxed trousers from Marni. Loose through the thigh, they’re tapered and then cropped at the ankle for a breezy spring-and-summer weight and silhouette. A linen shirt from Lanieri is our one nod to convention, and depending on how you choose to order yours, can be worn tucked or untucked. At the bottom, we’ve gone with the endearing Paraboot “Michael” shoe, a classic of country-wear if there ever was one, to balance out the tapered trousers and add some bulk to the look. We want to nurture Barena’s innate pagan magic, and a pair of shoes perfect for tromping through the woods achieves just that.
To round things off, a pair of retro-inspired sunglasses from The Bespoke Dudes keeps your eyes safe from harmful UV rays (always important), and a charming bandana-slash-pocket square from Blue Blue Japan is always a nice touch.
However, the most important aspect of any outfit is how you wear it, and we suggest you channel the three members who’ve inspired this particular look: wear it while wandering the countryside, wear it will cruising in your vintage sports car, or wear it as a comfortable airport outfit – whatever you do, wear it with a little bit of spring in your step and embrace a bit of whimsy along with the warm weather.
- Barena Patchwork Blazer – $725 at Mr. Porter
- Pure Linen Bue Stripe Shirt – $140 at Lanieri
- Marni Drawstring Pants – $545 at Need Supply Co.
- Paraboot “Michael” – $525 at Unionmade
- Tortoise Glasses – 145EUR at The Bespoke Dudes
- Blue Blue Japan Fuji & Cherry Bandana – ~40$ at HRM-EShop
Latest posts by Styleforum Editors (see all)
- Japanese Streetwear Trends for Spring 2019 - April 19, 2019
- Boxing Day 2018 Menswear Sales - December 26, 2018
- How To Smell Fabulous For The Holidays - December 21, 2018
- BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY MENSWEAR SALES LIST – STYLEFORUM - November 21, 2018
- Shoes as explained by Styleforum members - October 25, 2018