This week, we’re revisiting our friend Diplomatic Ties for some outfit inspiration. As you may remember from reading his member focus, he likes to get a little bit adventurous, and while this combination isn’t exactly wild, it’s a great way to break up the monotony of a blue jacket with grey trousers. In particular, I like that he’s chosen black shoes – anathema in the minds of many Stylefarmers – which in this case are a choice that grounds the outfit nicely (for the record, I think brown suede would have worked as well, and with a brown shoe I think the whole look would work very well tie-less).
I’m really enjoying the look of burgundies and purples as an alternative to navy and brown jackets, especially in subdued tones that keep the look from feeling costume-y. Diplomatic Ties’ choice features a subtle pattern and a peak lapel, but I think a solid option, such as this linen Formosa model from No Man Walks Alone, would look equally nice. Combined with a more familiar grey trouser, it’s just enough outside the norm to be interesting, but you’re unlikely to feel uncomfortably loud. Again, you could easily wear this same combination with a brown shoe or a loafer and look equally well put-together.
All credit to DT for some welcome experimentation with color – if you’re not already, be sure to share your outfits in the WAYWT thread.
- Sartoria Formosa burgundy linen sport coat from No Man Walks Alone
- Drake’s ice blue spread-collar shirt
- Ambrosi single-pleat trousers from The Armoury
- Carmina black cap-toe oxford
- David Fin hand-printed silk tie
- Vanda Fine Clothing ‘Mediterranean Tile’
Latest posts by Styleforum Editors (see all)
- No Man Walks Alone: Trials and Triumphs of an Online Retailer - January 15, 2020
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday Menswear Sales & Deals 2019 - November 27, 2019
- The Styleforum Podcast – Pilot - October 11, 2019
- Seersucker Shopping List – Summer 2019 - July 13, 2019
- A Visit to Viennese Shoemaker Ludwig Reiter - June 8, 2019