This week, we’re revisiting our friend Diplomatic Ties for some outfit inspiration. As you may remember from reading his member focus, he likes to get a little bit adventurous, and while this combination isn’t exactly wild, it’s a great way to break up the monotony of a blue jacket with grey trousers. In particular, I like that he’s chosen black shoes – anathema in the minds of many Stylefarmers – which in this case are a choice that grounds the outfit nicely (for the record, I think brown suede would have worked as well, and with a brown shoe I think the whole look would work very well tie-less).
I’m really enjoying the look of burgundies and purples as an alternative to navy and brown jackets, especially in subdued tones that keep the look from feeling costume-y. Diplomatic Ties’ choice features a subtle pattern and a peak lapel, but I think a solid option, such as this linen Formosa model from No Man Walks Alone, would look equally nice. Combined with a more familiar grey trouser, it’s just enough outside the norm to be interesting, but you’re unlikely to feel uncomfortably loud. Again, you could easily wear this same combination with a brown shoe or a loafer and look equally well put-together.
All credit to DT for some welcome experimentation with color – if you’re not already, be sure to share your outfits in the WAYWT thread.
- Sartoria Formosa burgundy linen sport coat from No Man Walks Alone
- Drake’s ice blue spread-collar shirt
- Ambrosi single-pleat trousers from The Armoury
- Carmina black cap-toe oxford
- David Fin hand-printed silk tie
- Vanda Fine Clothing ‘Mediterranean Tile’
Latest posts by Styleforum Editors (see all)
- Pat Allen on His Grand Adventure as the Founder of UNI/FORM LA and an Almost Famous DJ - October 12, 2022
- Memorial Day 2022 Menswear SALES List - May 30, 2022
- Interview with Jacob Hurwitz of American Trench - May 27, 2022
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday Menswear Sales List 2021 - November 24, 2021
- LABOR DAY 2021 MENSWEAR SALES LIST - September 3, 2021