Our man @Cleav dresses the way that many users of Styleforum aspire to dress: impeccably, gentlemanly, and fuss-free from head to toe. This week, I want to focus on an outfit he recently shared that shows off how strong a relatively simple combination can be when it’s put together perfectly.
First of all, @Cleav’s suit exemplifies why navy is still a men’s wardrobe essential. Paired here with a striped shirt, earthy-red tie, and split-toe derby shoes, it shines purely on the merits of the perfect fit, and is complemented – rather than overshadowed – by the accessories @Cleav has chosen. While this is certainly a more conservative combination than most of what is now shown on Instagram feeds or in Pitti write-ups, many beginners nonetheless struggle to understand that you don’t necessarily need a more complex outfit to stand out. In fact, part of what distinguishes @Cleav is that his outfit choices are consistently executed to perfection, without the distractions of gaudy fabrics, experimental cuts, or overbearing accessories.
Of course, in order to look as good as @Cleav does, you need to make sure your suit fits perfectly, you need to know how to choose a shirt that’s not too busy, and you need to know when a loud accessory is unnecessary. When you’ve managed all that, you’re left with a foundation that’s not just versatile, but sharp enough to pay respect to both the wearer and whatever event he happens to be attending.
Bravo to Cleav, for showing the rest of us how it’s done.
- Richard James Wool Twill Suit
- TM Lewin Navy Stripe Shirt
- Gieves & Hawkes Jacquard Tie
- Hiro Yanagimachi 3-eyelet Derby
- Drake’s Linen and Cotton Square
Note: this article has been corrected as of 8/21 to reflect that @Cleav is wearing a navy suit, not charcoal as originally written.
Latest posts by Styleforum Editors (see all)
- LABOR DAY 2021 MENSWEAR SALES LIST - September 3, 2021
- Memorial Day 2021 – Menswear Sales List - May 28, 2021
- A Guide to Braided Leather Belts - April 23, 2021
- Wardrobe Maintenance Kit: Essentials - February 5, 2021
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday Menswear Sales List 2020 - November 24, 2020